After several months' feeding from the breast, a bottle or a combination of both, it is highly likely that the first time you give your baby a spoonful of purée it will be hard to get him or to eat it. Babies have to get used to this new way of eating, the texture, the flavours, etc. You have to be patient and follow a series of tips to make this transition as easy as possible.
At around six months, your paediatrician will tell you that you can start on supplementary foods, as your baby will need new foods to meet his nutritional needs. It is normal to start on fruit purées or infant cereals.
Try the following tips to make your baby's first purée meal a success.
- Choose a feeding time when your baby is active and not sleepy. Afternoon snack time is usually the best. Start on a day when you are not in a hurry and when your baby is healthy, untroubled and comfortable.
- Be patient and prepared for any response, from spitting it out to splashing the food everywhere.
- Put a wide bib on your baby with sleeves that cover him well. You can even put plastic on the floor or the table to prevent everything getting covered with food.
- Sit your baby in the high chair so both hands are free.
- Use a spoon designed for babies, with a soft, ergonomic shape to prevent any damage to the gums.
- If your baby reaches out to touch the purée, let him handle it a little to explore the new foods and become familiar with them.
- Teach your baby how to open his mouth (following your example) and give him the first spoonful. Smile and tell him how nice it is.
- Let him suck it and savour it for a while.
- If your baby closes his mouth or refuses to eat, try a couple of times more and then leave it for the day. Don't obsess over it; it's best to go slowly.
- If you notice that a certain food is more difficult, try another.
- Your baby is still very young so you can turn this experience into a fun time to tell stories or sing a song.
Remember that to begin complementary feeding, we recommend one of our gluten-free purées. Visit our product advisor